Saturday, April 10

Job 42:13

I love the story of Job, and I’m not the only one. It is home to one of the Bible’s most well-known verses, “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord” (Job 1:21).

In the verses previous, Job had learned that his oxen and asses had been stolen by the Sabeans, his sheep had been smitten and killed by the “fire of God” (Job 1:16) and his camels had all been stolen by the Chaldeans. As if that were not enough, he was also informed that his sons and daughters had been killed when a great wind blew over the house in which they were gathered for dinner.

Through his life of faith and righteousness, Job powerfully taught the beautiful attribute of patience. How can any of us complain of anything after reading of Job’s life? Are you yet like unto Job? Patience is important, and I want more of it, but patience is not what I love about Job’s story. Like anything else in this life, the true beauty of the book of Job takes diligent effort to uncover. Appropriately, in may also require patience.

Prior to Job’s devastating loss, the Biblical record inventories his possessions:
“And there were born unto [Job] seven sons and three daughters. His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east” (Job 1:2-3).

It must have taken Job years to acquire such riches. It took a matter of minutes for him to learn that each of them, including his beloved children had been taken from this world. Almost mockingly one of Job’s servants survived each disaster to serve as the bearer of bad news. While he sat at his dinner table one servant interrupted the meal with news that would ruin anyone’s day. Before that servant could even finish, another would burst into the room to tell their tale of horror. This continued through four servants, the last sharing the crushing news that his childrens' time on earth had come to a close. Everything he owned. Everything by which he occupied his time. It was all gone. The Lord had given greatly, and swiftly had the Lord taken away.

Job’s trials encompassed much more than the loss of his family and his physical possessions. That was just chapter one, literally. In the next 41 chapters, Job is afflicted with boils, encouraged by his wife to “curse God, and die” (Job 2:9), wishes death upon himself to relieve his pain and sorrow, battles with the ache of feeling unforgiven, is scorned by his friends, suffers the accusation of diverse sins and is haunted by the recollection of his previous prosperity. Yet, “in all this, did not Job sin with his lips” (Job 2:10).

Job’s understanding of one beautiful principle, in my mind, enabled him to patiently endure his suffering and empowered him with patience.

In the 42nd chapter, the Lord finally intervenes, “And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before” (Job 42:10). There is a lesson to be learned in the fact that his afflictions were not relieved when he prayed for himself, but they were removed when praying for his friends. But this is not why I love the story of Job.

Another lesson can be learned in the fact that Job was blessed with twice as much as he had before his great trials. The Lord is just. He had taken Job’s possessions and his family. All of these things were to be restored to Job, and with interest. But this is not why I love the story of Job.

It is in the book’s last chapter that we read of what I love most of Job. I feel it appropriate that we are required to read through Job’s sufferings before enjoying the beauty of what chapter 42 provides. It is as if we suffer alongside Job for those 41 chapters. Believe me, chapter 42 is worth it.

Recall the list of Job’s possessions before his trials. The following chart summarizes what Job had before and what his promised reward of double should rightfully be:
*Job 1:2-3

Job was promised “twice as much as he had before” (Job 42:10). Later in the same chapter, there appears a discrepancy:
*Job 1:2-3; 42:12-13

The Lord appears to have made good on His promise on all Job had except for what he likely treasured most.

Why would the Lord not do as promised and double Job’s posterity as He doubled his substance?

I have come up with various possibilities:
- The translation is inaccurate. It would not be the only historical inaccuracy dealing with numbers in the Old Testament.
- The Lord lied.
- The Lord compensated for giving Job less than double the amount of children, by somehow making those children better than those he had previously. “And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job…” (Job 42:15).

Of course, there is one more option. What if the Lord actually did somehow double Job’s children by simply restoring the exact number of children he had before his afflictions? This would explain why Job never took exception to what he was given.

When Job’s sheep, camels, oxen and asses were either stolen or killed, that was to be the end of Job’s interaction with them. Not only in this life, but also throughout the eternities. “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither…” (Job 1:21). But, what if there is an exception?

Job’s seven sons, Job’s three daughters, there was something different about them, and Job knew it. The family, in its very nature, is eternal. Job made his testimony of the afterlife known to his friends, “For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me” (Job 19:25-27).

Job believed that his eyes would behold not only God, but those children which were unexpectantly relieved of their mortal existence. It was this knowledge which strengthened Job when he was tempted by the thought that he had nothing left to live for. Deep inside, he knew he did.

The Lord did double Job’s posterity by granting him seven sons and three daughters. Although Job’s separation from his sheep, camels, oxen and asses was permanent, something stronger than death bound him to his children. The sealing power of the priesthood, a power stronger than death, and one which can bind on earth and bind in heaven. There was no ‘til death do you part.

In a time in which my family has been blessed with the arrival of a son so loving, sweet and good, I am eternally grateful to share Job’s conviction that after this life, I also shall see God, and not only God, but I too have the opportunity to see those I love and care about throughout the eternities.

Job was right, blessed be the name of the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful post. I, too, am grateful beyond words for the blessings that I enjoy with my family now and will be able to enjoy with them throughout eternity.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful post, Evan. I'm certain none of us (who has a brain) after we've died will be knocking on Job's door to tell him about all the things we had to overcame while we were on earth. His story inspires me. The details and perspective you add bring it to life that much more. By the way, I, too, am grateful that there was no 'til death do you part" when I married your Mother. I hope I have a chance to stay with both your Mother and God "when in my flesh" I see them.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete